Sunday, 27 April 2014

Pea and Rocket Soup GF SCD


I'm on a post Easter detox! Faced with the awful truth that chocolate doesn't agree with me any more (sad face) and that it is probably the cause of my increased heart rate this week and the restless leg syndrome symptoms at night, I'm going cold turkey! Fortunately, there's nothing I like better than a bowl of delicious fresh tasting pea soup to welcome in the Summer months and it takes only a few minutes to make.

Did you know that fresh peas can lose about 15% of their nutrients travelling from the farm to the store and that frozen peas may actually be better for you? If you grow your own and can eat them freshly picked you are very lucky since, in my opinion, peas should be named as one of the planet's superfoods. Bursting with nutrients, they are also a good source of protein. I always have an enormous bag of frozen peas stashed in my freezer so I've made this soup with frozen peas but do use fresh peas if you have some.


To further increase the nutrients, I've scattered some rocket (arugula) into the soup. These pretty oak shaped leaves are packet full of peppery goodness and are a perfect addition to the soup.


And for even more goodness, I've included a handful of fresh mint. Be liberal with it if you make this soup, it needs a lot!




Pea & Rocket Soup GF SCD

750 g frozen peas (about 6 cups)
2 large handfuls of rocket leaves (arugula)
1 medium sweet or yellow onion
a handful of fresh mint leaves chopped
600 - 750 ml of vegetable stock or filtered water
extra virgin olive oil
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
toasted flaked almonds, chopped mint and extra rocket to garnish


  • Toast the flaked almonds for a couple of minutes in a frying pan and set on one side.
  • Heat a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a large pan.
  • Finely chop the onion, add to the pan and cook on a low heat until translucent.
  • Add the peas, rocket and chopped mint.
  • Pour over 600 ml of stock or water saving the rest to thin it out if necessary.
  • Bring to the boil then simmer for about 10 minutes.
  • Blend the soup preferably using an immersion blender, thinning it out with extra stock or water if needed.
  • Serve immediately with extra chopped mint, rocket leaves and toasted almonds sprinkled over the top.




Please join me on FacebookInstagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right) to be notified of all my new posts.

This recipe has been linked to Fat TuesdayHearth & Soul Blog HopAllergy Free WednesdaysGluten Free WednesdaysWhole Food Fridays

14 comments:

  1. Ahh... gorgeous, gorgeous soup, Vicky! But BOO on having to give up chocolate. :( Time for more caramel, then??!
    xo,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megan! I'm feeling fantastic without the chocolate, so surprised at the difference...

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous recipe, Vicky! I LOVE the color of this soup. It is so pretty - and so spring! And rocket leaves...ha ha. I've never heard of that before (but I get it). We are pea lovers and this soup would go over very well with my family. I'm pinning to make soon.

    On another note, sorry to hear about the chocolate! But I too do not do well on chocolate. I've never really *loved* chocolate anyway, so staying away from it is not a big deal for me. But I sympathize with real chocolate lovers. My husband made a connection between chocolate and his eczema a few years ago. He was eating chocolate EVERY night, because he is a big ole' chocolate fanatic, and once he stopped eating it, his eczema greatly improved.

    Hope you're doing great and enjoying your spring so far.

    Big hugs,
    -Am

    P.S. I am featuring this soup next week on AFW!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amber, I agree it is fantastic colour. I've always been a chocolate lover but I think I may have overdone it a little with the dark variety this Easter. How interesting that your husband's eczema has improved, I wonder what chemical in chocolate was aggravating it.

      Thank you for sharing next week!

      Vicky xo

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous, fresh spring soup, Vicky! I like the combination of rocket with the mint - it would give a great tart / sweet flavour against the background of the peas. It's perfect for a detox - although I'm sorry to hear chocolate doesn't agree with you! Thank you for being a part of the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you April, though I've worked out it's just one brand of dark chocolate - phew!

      Delete
  4. Delicious green colorful soup Vicky, Love the combo of rocket and mint. sorry to hear that you can't have chocolate. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and Soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Swathi! Isn't it a wonderful colour! I just love to eat green food!

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear about your break up with chocolate... I don't think I could deal with that! Can you still enjoy raw cacao powder or nibs? Carob might be a good alternative too? Anyway, pea soup is one of my favourites and I love the addition of rocket and mint. Sounds super refreshing for Spring :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a permanent break up - thank goodness! I think it's one variety of bean, I've been OK with small amounts of other brands - it just proves that all chocolate is not created equal, even the healthy organic dark varieties!

      Delete
  6. Good luck with your post Easter detox, I’ve been on a detox lately, making lots of juices and soups. But the weather here in Oregon is becoming a ‘biatch’, it goes down to 60s F and up to 90s F every few other days. A bowl of this gorgeous greenish pea soup sounds lovely right now…it’s chilly at the moment and sunny for a bit. I love peas, they bring a beautiful color to most of my dishes. I even put frozen peas in my savory GF oats with leek broth, nutritional yeast and tamari. Speaking of fresh mint, I’m hooked on that now…love them in my green juices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh! That's a massive variation in temperature! We're having cool days and warm days but nothing as varied as that!

      I love peas too - I add them to loads of meals, the colour always brightens up the dish AND they add additional protein!

      Fresh mint is awesome, I'm growing it so I'm adding it in here and there but it's awesome in salads mixed in with the leaves!

      Delete
  7. This soup looks delicious and so easy to make. I love all your recipes and just wanted to let you know that I have recently figured out that the inflamed itchy skin I have been getting is due to chocolate. Yikes! So far I have been okay, but I have definitely caved a couple of times. Clear, calm skin keeps me focused. Good luck with your quest. Hope it's just the one brand for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea! Thank you so much for your lovely comment! Everything I make is easy because I just don't have time to make complicated recipes!

      Oh no! SO sad it's the chocolate making your skin flare up but at least you've found an answer and can now control your inflamed skin!

      I hope it's just the one brand too!!

      Delete