Saturday 24 January 2015

My January 2015 TVK Box

My JanuaryVegan Kind Box

As usual, my box from The Vegan Kind arrived bang on time and was opened with huge excitement. You'd think that after all these months I would be in less of a frenzy but no, the hysteria is still present! So what's inside the first box of the year?

Power of Brown's Superfood Porridge

Of The earth Superfoods "exist to bring people naturally nutrient-dense foods that have been traditionally used for their medicinal qualities by many ancient cultures. Our large, exciting range of natural products has been passionately created to elevate energy and enhance health."

When I first saw this tub I was so excited to try it. The company states it can be eaten hot or cold so, given the temperature in our house at that time, I decided to try it hot. The taste was not as I expected. Somehow I thought it would taste like a lovely pot of chocolatey porridge but no, I wasn't keen on it at all. I was tempted to add a spoon or more of maple syrup into the pot. Maybe it's because I'm not used to the taste of the superfood goodness of maca powder or the sweetness derived from lucuma! Maybe you will like it. It's certainly not my cup of tea :(

Hectares Sweet Potato Crisps - Sea Salt & Black Pepper

But I did like these Sweet Potato Crisps from Hectares, so moreish and tasty! I guess these crisps are a little more healthy than the white potato kind since nutritionally, sweet potatoes are a much better alternative. But despite the health aspects, I think these crisps actually taste and crunch better!



Pulsin Raspberry and Goji Raw Choc Brownie

Another favourite treat from the box was this amazing Raspberry and Goji Raw Choc Brownie from Pulsin. This is the third bar I've received from The Vegan Kind. I wrote about the Almond and Raisin Bar in my March 2014 review and the Vanilla Choc Chip Bar in my August 2014 review. The website describes this bar as :
"Bursting with tart berry flavours and exotic raw cacao, this deliciously decadent bar is full of goodness and low on guilt."
...and I don't think I can disagree! With no added sugar, dairy-free, gluten-free, no trans fats and no GMO ingredients, this is the perfect energy snack.


Green Frog Soapnuts Bag

My March 2014 TVK Box included a bottle of Greenfrog washing up liquid which was really lovely to use so I was extremely happy to find these Greenfrog Soapnuts in this box. So why use these soapnuts? This is what Greenfrog say :

  • Gentle on your skin. Soapnuts are naturally free-from nasty chemicals which can irritate sensitive skin and eczema.E
  • Easy to use. Ecological cleaning needn’t be hard work! Just pop them in your washing machine in the bag provided on your usual wash. Easy to follow instructions are included.
  • Tried and tested. Our Himalayan soapnuts come from a sustainable source used for centuries for their effective cleaning properties.
  • Eco-friendly. 100% natural and biodegradable soapnuts from a sustainable source.

I can't really argue with that! These work best, IMO, for washing clothes that aren't particularly dirty, the ones you're just freshening up - add a few drops of your favourite essential oil if you like. They don't work out very expensive either - £3.79 for 25 washes. Have you ever used soapnuts? What do you think?


Creative Nature Tropical Treat Bar

I've received a couple of Creative Nature bars since I subscribed to The Vegan Kind but unfortunately, this one isn't gluten-free :(. It does look tasty though, ginger, pineapple and coconut, lovely! They don't just make bars, there's a wide range of super foods too. A young, ethical organisation, Creative Nature was established to promote health, creativity and respect for the environment by increasing awareness of environmental, social and health issues and by providing the highest quality natural products.


Clearspring Organic Pear Puree

Lastly, this little pouch of organic pear fruit purée from Clearspring was a very nice surprise and quite delicious! When I visited their website I discovered even more fruit products, 10 varieties in total! You may have noticed Clearspring products in your Supermarket. I've known about the company for years as a reliable source of Japanese foods but didn't know until quite recently that they have expanded their range of fine foods to include organic cold pressed oils, sugar-free organic fruit spreads, organic grains, seeds and almonds.

Lastly, as usual there was a recipe card to add to my collection. This month it is Almond Milk and Brownies from the awesome Fresh Heather.